For weight loss, it is important to practice strength training as it can speed up metabolism and burn fat mass faster than cardio workouts.
Photo : iStock
Read on to know some
weight loss simple methods that can help one stay slim after turning 40. Experts have listed 13 simple ways to prevent fat accumulation at a later age in life.
- Take cold showers: Despite not being appealing enough, a study in the
European Journal of Applied Physiologydiscovered that immersion in cold water can increase metabolism. It can also calm the nervous system and curb cravings for fatty, sugary food.
- Sleep early: Sleeping early can be a good way of ensuring that one gets a minimum of eight hours of shuteye which is a must for health. Poor sleep, according to several studies, is associated with weight gain and cravings.
- Fast overnight: A 12-hour fasting window at night is a must to allow the body time to burn fat. Try to not indulge in cravings at night to achieve this.
- Weekly alcohol curfew: Try to abstain from a round of cocktails mid-week and give yourself the allowance only for a Saturday or Sunday. Alcohol has a high-calorie content which can come in the way of weight loss. Try to not go beyond 14 units of alcohol in a week.
- Eat healthy fats: Healthy fats like those in almonds, fatty fish, walnuts and desi ghee can boost the absorption of vitamins A, E and D while curbing appetite as well.
- Eat more proteins: Proteins are an appetite-suppressing macronutrient that helps prevent hunger pangs, and accumulation of fats and supports the formation of muscle mass as well. For weight loss, doctors recommend eating one gram of protein per kilogram of body weight.
- Lift weights: For weight loss, it is important to practice strength training as it can speed up metabolism and burn fat mass faster than cardio workouts.
- Choose healthy snacks: Healthy snacks are key to weight management as they curb cravings and prevent blood sugar spikes too. Instead of eating chips and biscuits, try eating nuts and seeds.
- Try 5:2 on CRAP: CRAP stands for Carbonated beverages, Refined Sugar, and Artificial and Processed foods. These foods are loaded with toxins which can lead to sluggishness, fatigue and weight gain. Try to follow a 5:2 week for CRAP – this means eating healthy for five days and indulging for two days.
- Moderate weekly workouts: If you are one who does not like strength training, try to not go overboard with exercise to prevent weight gain. 150 minutes of moderate and 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week can be key to weight management after turning 40.
- Wake up early and exercise: Morning workouts are a must for weight loss in the 40s. Try to wake up sooner than usual and hit the gym for weight management and lower risk of chronic and acute diseases.
- Rope your friends in: Plan trips, fun activities, bike tips, walking sessions, and running sessions with your friends and family to stick to your goals and enjoy the way to weight loss.
- Stock up healthy food: Stocking up healthy food can work wonders in weight management as this trick will help you turn to nutritious choices as required throughout the day. Foods like yogurt, fruits, hummus, seeds and nuts are filling and with fewer calories to support weight management.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.