When it comes to personal hygiene, we all want to smell like a freshly baked cinnamon bun, right? The reality is, though, that sometimes we just don’t have the time or energy to shower every day. Maybe you’re a busy mom or a college student with a hectic schedule. Or maybe you’re just not a fan of showers (I’m not judging).
But here’s the thing: showering is essential for your physical and mental health. Not only does it help you avoid germs and diseases, but it can also be a form of self-care. A peaceful, relaxing shower can do wonders for your mental health.
So, how often should you shower? Ideally, it would be best if you showered at least once a day. And when you do shower, make sure to follow the perfect shower routine.
Recommended Products to Build a Perfect Shower Routine
Building The Perfect Shower Routine
The Perfect Water Temperature Matters
The perfect water temperature for a shower can be different for everyone. Some people like it extremely hot, while others prefer it to be lukewarm. Remember a few things when trying to find the perfect water temperature for your shower routine.
If the water is too hot, it can strip and clean out your skin of natural oils and dry it out. It can lead to irritation and even itchiness. On the other hand, if the water is too cold, it can make your skin feel tight and uncomfortable. It’s crucial to find a happy medium that leaves your skin feeling refreshed and clean.
Brush Your Hair When It’s Dry
Most people don’t realize that brushing your hair before you shower can make a big difference in the health of your hair. When your hair is dry, it is less likely to break and will be much easier to brush.
Wet hair is much more fragile and more likely to break, so it’s important to brush it when it’s dry. However, if you must brush your hair when wet, use a wide-toothed comb and be very gentle. Start at the bottom of your hair and work your way up.
The Tangle Teezer Ultimate Styler Hairbrush is an excellent choice for women who want a brush that can handle all hair types. The brush has two sides – one for thick hair and one for thin hair – and can be used on wet and dry hair.
Cleanse And Exfoliate Your Skin
Assuming you already have all the necessary supplies, cleansing and exfoliating your skin before showering is the best way to start. It will help remove dirt, oil, or makeup on your skin and dead skin cells.
Exfoliating will also help improve circulation and promote cell turnover. As a result, your skin will be left feeling clean, refreshed, and radiant. Dove Exfoliating Body Polish Scrub with Pomegranate Seeds and Shea Butter is excellent for everyday use.
Balance Your Hair-Wash Schedule
Finding a balance in your hair-washing schedule that works for your hair and your lifestyle is essential. People having dry hair may only need to wash their hair every few days. While people with oily hair may need to wash their hair every day. Experiment to find what works best for you.
You may wonder why it is vital to balance your hair-wash schedule.
Regular hair washing can help control the oil in your scalp and help to keep your hair looking clean in case you have an oily scalp. However, if you have dry hair, washing your scalp less often may help preserve the natural oil in the scalp and protect your hair from becoming too dry or brittle. Experimenting with different schedules can help you find what works best for you and your hair.
Install A Vitamin C Shower Filter
When it comes to your perfect shower routine, installing a vitamin C shower filter is a must! Here’s why: Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that can help protect your skin from environmental damage. When you shower, your skin is exposed to chlorine and other chemicals that can dry it out and cause irritation. A vitamin C shower filter can help remove these harmful substances from your water, making your skin feel softer and more hydrated.
Vitamin C can also help to brighten your skin, giving you a radiant complexion. So, if you want to give your skin some extra TLC, install a vitamin C shower filter and enjoy the benefits!
Use The Right Shampoo+Conditioner Combination
Your shampoo and conditioner should work together to cleanse and condition your hair, so it’s crucial to find a combination that does both. If your shampoo is too harsh, it can strip your hair of its natural oils, leaving it dry and brittle. On the other hand, if your conditioner is too heavy, it can weigh your hair down and make it look greasy. The key is to find a balance between the two. BOTANIC HEARTH Argan Oil Shampoo + Conditioner is a great way to get your hair looking and feeling its best. The shampoo is designed to gently cleanse your hair while the conditioner works to hydrate and detangle it.
When you find a shampoo and conditioner that work well together, you’ll notice a difference in your hair. It will be softer, smoother, and more manageable. So, don’t be afraid to experiment until you find the perfect combination.
Rinse Your Face With Cold Water
After you have scrubbed your face clean with your favourite face wash, it is time to wash it off with cold water. Rinsing your face with cold water is the best way to finish your shower routine. The cold water will help to wake you up and get your blood flowing. It is also suitable for your skin and can help to reduce inflammation.
Always Remember To Moisturise
Moisturizing helps to lock in hydration, keeping skin looking and feeling its best. It’s important to moisturize immediately after showering, while your skin is still damp, to get the most out of your moisturizer. Be sure to use a moisturizer that’s right for your skin type – if you have dry skin, look for a thicker, creamier moisturizer, while those with oily skin should opt for a light, oil-free formula. The Body Shop British Rose Body Yogurt helps with hydration.
How Often Should You Shower?
If you’re wondering how often you should shower, the answer is: it depends. If you live an active lifestyle or tend to sweat a lot, you’ll probably want to shower more often than someone who doesn’t. Generally speaking, most people should shower at least once a day.
What Time Of Day Is Best To Shower?
There’s no right or wrong answer to this question – it’s about personal preference. Some people like to shower in the morning to start their day off feeling refreshed, while others prefer to shower at night to relax before bed.
How Long Should You Take In The Shower?
The ideal shower routine should last between 5 and 10 minutes. It allows you to get clean without over-exposing your skin to water.
What Products Should You Use?
Choose a gentle cleanser and avoid using harsh soaps. Consider using a body scrub or loofah to exfoliate your skin. Follow up with a moisturizing body wash to keep your skin hydrated.
Common Shower Mistakes That People Make
Showering is one of the best ways to relax and rejuvenate yourself. However, many people make common mistakes that can ruin the experience. Here is the ideal shower routine to make sure you get the most out of your shower.
- Not exfoliating: When you don’t exfoliate, you’re not getting rid of the dead skin cells that can build up on your skin and lead to clogged pores. It can cause breakouts, dry patches, and an overall dull complexion. Exfoliating just once or twice a week can make a big difference in the health and appearance of your skin.
- Not using a body wash: A good body wash will cleanse your skin and leave it feeling hydrated and refreshed. Find one that’s gentle enough for your skin type, as some can dry.
- Not shaving properly: Shaving properly means using a sharp razor, shaving cream or gel, and shaving in the direction of hair growth to help reduce irritation.
- Not using a mild soap: Many people think a harsh soap will clean their skin better, but this is not the case. A mild soap will better clean your skin without stripping it of its natural oils.
- Not moisturising: Moisturising is essential in any skincare routine, but it’s imperative after showering. It is because your skin is still damp and can absorb the moisturiser more efficiently. Be sure to choose a moisturiser that’s right for your skin type.
We all know the importance of personal hygiene. It’s something we’ve been taught since we were little. But sometimes, in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, we forget to take care of ourselves. That’s why it’s essential to have a self-care routine that includes a peaceful shower routine. So next time you feel overwhelmed, take a step back and give yourself some time to recharge. Your body and mind will thank you for it.
- How to Create the Perfect Shower Routine – VOESH New York. (n.d.). https://voesh.com/blogs/news/how-to-create-the-perfect-shower-routine
- Univer, E. (2018, February 2). How To Take A Shower The Right Way. Teen Vogue. https://www.teenvogue.com/story/best-showering-skincare-tips
- Price, D. (2022, August 19). How Often You Should Wash Your Hair, Based on Your Hair Type. Good Housekeeping. https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/hair/a34059047/how-often-to-wash-hair/
- Robin, M. (2020, January 17). Hot Showers Are Bad for Skin, Say Dermatologists. Allure. https://www.allure.com/story/why-hot-showers-are-bad-for-skin
- Bhattacharya, S. (2020, December 17). All The Damage That Hot Showers And Heaters Cause To Your Skin In Winter. iDiva. https://www.idiva.com/beauty/tips/the-damage-hot-showers-do-to-skin-and-hair-in-winter/18015877
Read iDiva for the latest in Bollywood, fashion looks, beauty and lifestyle news.